Blue Lotus Sangha (Chuckawalla State Prison)


Dear Venerable Zhong, Mr Daniel and Ms. Shirley,        May, 2013

It is with a light and bounteous heart that write to you all today. I would like to extend to you my deepest respect and thanks for the beautiful ceremony yesterday. In a world full of hate, ignorance, greed, and discontent, it never cease to amaze me that people like yourselves are out there in the world who work tirelessly and selflessly for the betterment of all people, despite the wrongs they have committed. 

I had an opportunity to read the IBS Prison Program in the San Diego California book. I have to say that I awestruck at the help, both financial as well as physical, that IBS gets for such an unusual project. Most people shun the thought of helping those in prison. They feel that we have it too easy, and in some regards, we do. However, incredible people overcome the stereotype that is labeled on us and have the courage and strength of conviction to see that suffering is universal, regardless of our station in life and are willing to provide help in whatever capacity they can. 

Yesterday was perhaps the happiest day I have had in recent memory. Last year when I took the Five Precepts and took refuge in the Triple Gems, I really did not understand what I was trying to commit myself to. I thought that it was expected of my by some of my peers. This year, however, I really listened deeply the Master Dharma talk on The Five Precepts and what it means take up the vows. It is sometimes hard to understand since we are not yet enlightened, we are going to break some of the vows once in a while. The important thing is to keep in mind that we learn from the errors in thinking and strive to not repeat the mistake. I feel as though I have turned a corner in the path of my practice. I feel as though I have gained insight into what it is I am really trying to accomplish and why. 

   I am going to close for now. I just wanted to say thank you so much for all you do and for caring so deeply for us. I consider you all a part of my family and look forward to the day we can all meet at the temple. Please take care of yourselves. I hope you had a safe journey home and continue to have safe journey. Until next month.. Amithofo
With Metta
Noel. (Guan Ai)